|Chana Dal||3//4th Cup.|
|Toor Dal||1/4th Cup.|
|Dried red Chillies||2|
|Ginger||1-2 inch piece.|
|Mint Leaves||10-12 Leaves|
|Cumin Seeds||1 Tsp.|
|Fennel Seeds||1 Tsp.|
|Cinnamon Stick||2 (1 inch stick.)|
|Curry Leaves||2 springs (Roughly chopped)|
|Coriander||2 Springs (Roughly chopped)|
|Onion||1 ( medium sized, chopped)|
- To a bowl add Chana dal, Toor dal and rice. Rinse them couple of times and soak in warm water for an hour.
- To a mixer jar add dry red chillies, half portion of the soaked dal, ginger, garlic, mint leaves, cumin, fennel, cinnamon and cardamom. Grind it to a coarse paste.
- Add rest of the dal, salt to taste and pulse it couple of times. The batter should be coarse and not too smooth.
- Transfer it to a mixing bowl and add curry leaves, coriander, turmeric and chopped onions and mix well.
- Shape them in to patties and deep fry them in hot oil till Golden brown in both the sides.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney or just plain as Tea/coffee time snack or as a starter.
Tips & variation:
- Garlic & Onion is optional.
- You can also add chopped spinach or Muringa to the Vada batter.
- Replacing onions with Cabbage tastes great aswell.
- Add chopped green chillies to the batter for more spice.
- Fry in medium flame for about 2-3 minutes each side so that the patty is completely cooked inside out.