|Coriander seeds||2 Tbsp.|
|Chana Dal||1 Tbsp|
|Fenugreek seeds||1/4th Tsp.|
|Pepper corns||1 Tsp.|
|Dry red chilies||5-6 Pcs.|
|Coconut||3 Tbsp. (Grated)|
|Curry Leaves||1-2 springs|
|Tamarind||Small lemon sized|
|Toor Dal||½ Cup (Cooked)|
To make Masala:
- Dry roast coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, pepper corns, chana dal & dry red chilies till golden and becomes aromatic.
- Allow it to cool. Add it to a mixer jar along with shallots and shredded coconut and grind it to a smooth paste.
To make Sambhar:
- To a pan add oil, mustard, asafoetida, curry leaves and shallots and sauté till the shallots are well cooked.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook for a minute.
- Add tamarind extract, Salt and turmeric. Bring it to a boil till raw smell goes.
- Add the ground masala, water to adjust consistency and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cooked toor dal and simmer for couple of minutes and serve hot with Rice & ghee.
Tips & Variation:
- You can also use regular sambhar powder to make this sambhar. To a mixer jar add 1 ½ tbsp. of sambhar powder, shredded coconuts & shallots and grind to a smooth paste.
- Use ghee or sesame oil for seasoning for a better taste and aroma.
- Regular onions or cooked drumstick can be replaced with shallots.