|Black lentils||1 cup.|
|Cooking soda||½ Tsp.|
|Chilli Powder||1 Tsp.|
|Coriander Powder||1 Tsp.|
|Garam Masala||1 Tsp.|
|Fresh/Heavy Cream||1 Tbsp. (Optional)|
- Soak the black lentils for minimum of an hour in warm water.
- Rinse and drain the soaked water. Add 3 cups of water to the dal and the cooking soda. Mix well.
- Pressure-cook the dal for 4 Whistles. Allow the pressure to release on its own.
- In a saucepan with boiling water add slightly slit tomatoes and cashews. Cook for 3-4 mins.
- Drain the water, peel the skin of the tomato and add it along with the cashews, ginger and green chillies to a mixer jar and grind it to a smooth paste.
- To a saucepan add butter and allow it to melt.
- Add cumin and other whole spices, turmeric, coriander powder and chilli powder. Mix well and sauté for few seconds in medium flame.
- Add the ground paste and cook for couple of minutes.
- Add salt to taste, mix well and bring it to a boil.
- Add the cooked dal and garam masala. Mix well to combine everything.
- Cover the saucepan and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Add freshly chopped coriander and turn of the flame.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl and add heavy cream on top of it before serving.
Tips & variations:
- Replace the black lentils with traditional red kidney beans (Rajma)(1/4th cup) and Black Urad dal(3/4th cup). If using Rajma, soak them overnight.
- You can also replace Black lentils with masoor dal for more variations.
- Black lentils can be soaked over night as well. If soaking overnight skip adding cooking soda to it while pressure-cooking and pressure-cook for 3 whistles.
- Use Vegan Butter or Margarine and skip the fresh cream to make the recipe vegan friendly.
- Serve Hot with Steamed rice, Pulao or any Indian breads